If you are thinking about selling your home, now is a great time to list it. The Australian property market is still strong, and homes are in demand. The low-interest rates have brought buyers to the table in droves, and the dollar amounts these buyers will pay are incredible.
While buyers are eager, especially in suburban areas, you still need to spend some time getting your house ready for sale. The process definitely involves work and a bit of money. However, when you have a house for sale, no matter what the housing market is doing, you need to give yourself every advantage over the competition.
Preparing to sell your house takes a bit of time and some commitment to the task of showing your home in its best light. Here are five pro tips to help you get started.
Few things are as off-putting to a potential buyer than clutter in a home. Remember, the buyer needs to get a mental picture of their life in this home. Even though many of us have a little clutter, no one wants to imagine their new home filled with it.
Remember to declutter closets, cupboards, and drawers, as well as open spaces. Offering buyers a house with plenty of storage is crucial.
Ideally, you can take the time to remove unwanted and unnecessary items from your home. As a last-ditch attempt to declutter, gather the things you believe you should keep and store them. You need to present a spacious and inviting house where buyers will want to spend time.
2. Paint with Light Neutral Shades
You may positively adore your dramatic red accent wall. However, potential buyers might find it shocking instead of stunning. The same is true for dated wallpaper or wall trim. Today’s buyers demand move-in ready spaces, and you want to make sure you give them what they want.
Colour choices should be simple and a bit more creative than stark bright white. Light shades of grey, soft cream, or classic beige are popular choices right now. However, flat white for ceilings and semi-gloss white for trim are good choices.
3. Update Your House
Whilst you do not need to hire a professional to re-do your home, you would do well to make some changes to create a modern feel. Changing light fixtures, bathroom fittings, doorknobs, and window treatments can give your house an updated look. Make sure to pay attention to little details. Drawer handles, light switches, and baseboards can benefit from updating as well.
4. Clean Carpets and Floors
Shiny floors or nice clean carpets are essential for selling a house. While some sellers go all out and replace carpeting or floorings, a thorough cleaning should do the trick if yours are in good repair and do not appear dated.
5. Depersonalise Your Home
Potential buyers need to see themselves in your home. To help facilitate this, take down personal mementos, especially those that are polarising. Your family photos, your dog’s dish and leash, and a stack of magazines need to be out of sight during open houses or when potential buyers come for a private showing.
A Checklist to Get Your Home Ready for Sale
Selling your house is a strenuous process, and it is easy for a few details to become lost in the shuffle. A checklist can do wonders for those with a tendency to forget a point or two.
1. Outside – While curb appeal is essential, you also need to maintain your outdoor areas for open houses or private showings.
- Trim and edge grassy areas
- Remove unsightly overgrowth
- Trim bushes and trees
- Fix any areas with broken tiles or cracked concrete
- Keep the space around the entryway clutter-free
- Replace bulbs for outdoor lighting fixtures
- Paint or repair fencing and gates
- Replace broken shingles
- Clear away any animal waste regularly
2. Inside Cleaning – After you have removed unnecessary clutter from your house and refreshed your walls, floors, and cupboards, you can give your home a deep cleaning.
- Wash windows and any glass in doors inside and out
- Clean the laundry room appliances, shelves, and tables. Be sure that when you do laundry that you promptly remove your clothes and wipe the surfaces.
- Deep clean the bathroom (s), including under and behind the toilet, sink and tub. Make sure your tub and shower surrounds are spotless and that the mirrors are streak-free.
- Clean the kitchen appliances, sinks, and counters. Wipe all cupboards and drawers and wash any dirty dishes immediately.
- Vacuum and, if necessary, have the carpet cleaned.
- Dust daily and be sure to check in hard-to-reach areas like behind furniture or very high on shelves.
3. Catch Up on General Maintenance – We all have those smaller tasks that we put off. NOW is the time to take care of these.
- Tighten loose hinges or bannisters
- Replace torn fly screens
- Oil squeaky doors
- Repair uneven walkways
- Fix or replace broken windows
- Repair cracks or holes in the walls
Whether you have experience buying and selling homes or if this is your first time listing a house, Nest Realty will help you through each step. Our team of professionals will work with you to make the real estate process easy to understand, leaving you confident and at ease during a potentially stressful time in your life.